Saturday, May 20, 2023

Soundtrack Saturday: Persona 5


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Persona 5 by ATLUS.

THE STATS

Name: Persona 5
Developer: ATLUS

Publisher: SEGA
Release Date: September 15, 2016
Genres: RPG
Composer: Shoji Meguro


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 


"Fire in every breath. Fire inside your head, your heart."
(Length: 4:23) This is going in your workout mix now, isn't it?

(Length: 5:40) Probably not everyone's favorite, but the vocals remind me of Eternal Poison, one of my favorite JRPGs. The best part is that you could feasibly sing along... if you really wanted to.

(Length: 2:11) There's a mix of something Studio Ghibli and Zelda in this. It's a lovely track that gives a respite from the jazz and rock.

"I'm a shape shifter chained down to my core. Please don't take off my mask, my place to hide."
(Length: 4:40) Soulful vocals and just the barest augmentation of instrumentals makes this track stand out! Less is more!

(Length: 2:05) The mix of rock and obvious borrowing of other themes made this a track I enjoyed and had to share. Great beat if you're still looking for more workout music!

"I will search for tomorrow from here on with my heart."
(Length: 7:11) My favorite track. It starts out low-key, then absolutely opens up to some rock before downshifting again. 


You can listen to the full soundtrack here:

Persona 5 OST
(also includes Royal & Strikers!)


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

    Look, have you ever played a Persona game or watched a video? The music is ALWAYS on point! Some of the games play weird or don't make sense, but that doesn't make the music any less amazing. As it happens, my husband is a long-time fan of the series and would like you to know that 5 is the most accessible to someone new to the series. So there -- if you like this music, you should also go check out the game! You can buy the Royal version which includes all of the DLC, to boot.

THE COMPOSER

     You might not know the name Shoji Meguro, but if you've played any Persona game or Shin Megami Tensei... you've heard his work. If you like the style, you can also look forward to his next project that he launched after leaving ATLUS: a JRPG he funded via Kickstarter called Guns Undarkness. The team also consists of Ilya Kuvshinov (illustrator who created the character designs for Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2045 and The Wonderland) and Lotus Juice (Japanese rapper who worked on some of the Persona series). You can wishlist Guns Undarkness on Steam -- right after you check out Persona 5 Royal, right? RIGHT?

    

If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!
You can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment