Saturday, March 16, 2024

Soundtrack Saturday: Deep Rock Galactic


On Soundtrack Saturdays I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Deep Rock Galactic by Ghost Ship Games.

THE STATS

Name: Deep Rock Galactic
Developer: Ghost Ship Games

Publisher: Coffee Stain Publishing
Release Date: May 13, 2020
Genres: Action
Composers: Sophus Alf Agerbæk-Larsen & Troels Jørgensen (Ghost Ship Games)


(Note: This only covers tracks from the first volume of the OST.)

MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

Fathomless Tomb
(Length: 9:04) This is a long track, but it absolutely screams DWARF to me. It reminds me of Tolkien's dwarves, as well as having haunting elements of delving deep into the unknown.

Coward's Crossing
(Length: 8:09) The composition of this track brought together elements that sounded familiar from SEGA Genesis era games as well as titles like FTL and Furi. A lovely mix!

Hold My Beard
(Length: 2:15) To be honest, this one's just here because of its title, but it's also a great sample from the overall OST. It has some great 80's/electronic nuances that make me want to go fire up an emulator, and at the same time has some more futuristic musical elements that make me think of Blade Runner.

Beneath the Crust
(Length: 2:18) This track has the best beat of the entire Vol 1 OST. It has great pacing, balanced elements, and a little bit of "oh no, what's that?" vibe.

The Only Way Out is Through
(Length: 7:48) This track is a journey! If you enjoy 80s-sounding electronic music that's bordering on dark, this is one to queue up and zone out to!



You can listen to the full soundtrack here:

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

    To be honest, this isn't my first choice for a game OST. There are elements I can really appreciate, and I would absolutely play it in the background for a Spelljammer tabletop session, but it isn't something I would have playing for enjoyment. It's a smidge too bleak for that. It does, however, do a great job of painting an audio landscape for the game! Space dwarves in dire situations!

THE COMPOSER(S)

    All tracks written and composed by Sophus Alf Agerbæk-Larsen, all tracks produced, arranged and mastered by Troels Jørgensen. Both in-house with Ghost Ship Games at time of release, I've read that Sophus has since left.

No comments:

Post a Comment