Saturday, October 10, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Gone Home


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Gone Home by The Fullbright Company.




THE STATS

Name: Gone Home
Release Date: August 15, 2013
Genres: Adventure, exploration
Composer: Chris Remo


MY FAVORITE SOME TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)


(Length: 1:20) This track came the closest to sounding like it had any kind of sustainable melody compared to the rest of the soundtrack. Despite that, it's repetitive and doesn't do much aside from carry suspension without resolution.

(Length: 1:20) Despite sounding very generic, this one has the foundation to be built into something more than some strummed chord changes.


And I'm very sorry, but those are the only two tracks to make the cut for me this week. 


You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube (if you really want to):





WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

Hard pass on this one, friends. I remembered being utterly disappointed by the game itself when I played it. In fact, looking back at the review I left it on Steam... 




I was generous in giving it a 60/100, but I certainly expressed my feelings about it. To that end, the music doesn't lend much to the overall experience of the game. The majority of the tracks are simply sustained chord progressions. It makes me doubt my desire to acquire the game Firewatch since it has the same composer...


THE COMPOSER: CHRIS REMO

Apparently this fellow is a bit of a jack of all trades, and... cruel as it may seem, I feel that may be why the Gone Home soundtrack is not what it could be. Wikipedia lists Remo's labels as video game designer, composer, writer, podcaster, and former journalist. His journey has taken him from the Idle Thumbs website, Gamasutra, Kickstarters, Double Fine Productions, Campo Santo, and now technically Valve (since it acquired Campo Santo a couple years ago). 

I don't wish any ill to this guy, and he's probably improved a lot over the last few composing gigs he's had. But it's my disappointed opinion that the Gone Home soundtrack is nothing to write home about.


No comments:

Post a Comment