Saturday, October 23, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Outer Wilds

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Outer Wilds by Mobius Digital.


THE STATS

Name: Outer Wilds
Developer: Mobius Digital

Publisher: Annapurna Interactive

Release Date: May 28, 2019
Genres: Action, adventure
Composer: Andrew Prahlow



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 3:25) Do you love guitars? This track is for you. Do you want to also zone out and relax? Also for you. Something about this track reminded me of music from a college band I listened to that a friend was in. You've probably never heard of The Local (they've long since gone separate ways), but that's okay. The vibe I get from this track is the same as the vibe I get from their track called So Long. Don't ask what lengths I went to to find a video to link to. That one like is from me.

(Length: 1:59) Both relaxing and disquieting, this track takes a more sci-fi approach in sound. As the title suggests, it sounds like the end of something... or at the very least a conclusion.

(Length: 3:31) This track is for the handful of other travelers the player will encounter while exploring. It's simple, has "down home" sounds, imperfect whistling, and gradually builds into something much larger -- just as all small, simple things are part of something much larger.

(Length: 5:21) This is my absolute favorite track on this OST. The different elements are interwoven beautifully, letting them shine and grow together. I can't tell you how many times I've simply closed my eyes and allowed myself to get lost in the sounds. Breathe. Bask.

(Length: 2:06) I shared this track earlier in the week with my patrons. It has a feel-good vibe to it, brightness coming from the percussion and harmonica in particular, and puts me in mind of joy around a campfire.


You can listen to the complete playlist here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

There's a particular sound to most of the tracks that just... [Insert Pacha "these hills sing" meme here.] The best I can explain that is the similarity in sound to a band CD I've been listening to since college (about 16 years). An alumni friend from the literary journal was part of the band, and it had a very calming, down-home, good-for-the-soul sound and feeling to it. I get that same feeling from most of these tracks, and they are PURE JOY to listen to.


THE COMPOSER: ANDREW PRAHLOW

You might not know Andrew's name, but there's a fairly good chance you've heard his work before now and not known it. He's had some prevalent movie trailer work, as well as assisted with the music for The Legend of Korra and Kung-Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness. Additionally, this soundtrack right here received 4 Best Original Score nominations (BAFTA, SXSW, Golden Joystick Awards, Jerry Goldsmith Awards), two G.A.N.G. nominations (Best Indie Game Music and Best Interactive Score), as well as 2 Best Game Music wins (Giant Bomb and OnlySinglePlayer Awards). For more about him, you should totally check out his website.



If you like what you heard here, you can listen to the entire OST on Soundcloud, purchase the OST here on Steam, or use this handy widget:


If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon! This month I'm having a sticker promotion, and you can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment