Saturday, October 30, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Ghostrunner

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Ghostrunner by One More Level.


THE STATS

Name: Ghostrunner
Developer: One More Level, 3D Realms, Slipgate Ironworks, All In! Games

Publisher: 505 Games

Release Date: October 27, 2020
Genres: Action
Composer: Daniel Deluxe



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 2:55) This was the perfect first track to listen to. It gave me an auditory in-road to the OST and really sets the tone. It's lighter than some of the other tracks, but still has a deep bassline and feel. 

(Length: 3:47) This immediately made me think of several of the tracks from Furi, which is another OST I love to pieces. It's mysterious, suspenseful and flowing, and makes great use of beat to break up the different melodic themes throughout.

(Length: 3:20) The beat at 0:36 is AMAZING. It makes the track as awesome as it is! There's something about this track that reminds me of Jock Jams... which I loved in the late 90's.

(Length: 2:59) This track is layered masterfully! If you try to tune in to any one layer, you can almost hear multiple songs playing at once. There's a spooky element to it, also, and I'd happily include this on a Halloween playlist.

(Length: 2:27) This is what I imagine a Zelda track would sound like if placed in a futuristic or cyberpunk setting. Can you hear it? Or have I just listened to too much OC Remix?


You can listen to the complete playlist here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I've been enjoying a lot of electronic music lately, particularly synthwave. This OST has a dark, gritty tone to it that matches the game setting, and has punchy kicks and great basslines. Just start listening -- I think you'll enjoy it!


THE COMPOSER: DANIEL DELUXE

I'd heard this name a few times in my previous bouts of research on soundtrack composers, and it's definitely a name you should add to your music library if you enjoy synthwave as a genre. If you can't tell from this OST, Daniel likes dark basslines and hard kicks -- making for the ideal sound of games like Ghostrunner and Desync (which reminds me visually of titles like Furi and Fract OSC). 



If you like what you heard here, you can listen to the entire OST on Soundcloud, listen/buy on Bandcamp, listen/buy on Amazon, purchase the OST here on Steam, or use this handy widget:


If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon! This month I'm having a sticker promotion, and you can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment