Saturday, October 9, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Shadow of the Colossus

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Shadow of the Colossus by Bluepoint Games.


 

THE STATS

Name: Shadow of the Colossus (remake)
Developer: Bluepoint Games

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment

Release Date: February 6, 2018
Genres: Action-adventure, puzzle
Composer: Kow Otani


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 3:27) This is my second favorite track, and it introduces a lot of the themes of the soundtrack in a fluid way. It clearly sounds like a prologue and captures the overall tone of the game very neatly. The strings are my favorite part of this track.

(Length: 1:58) Instant action with percussion and strings, blasted aside by harmonious brass! The rolling movement of this composition, coupled with intense percussion and good use of dissonance, paints a very clear picture of a violent encounter indeed. 

(Length: 1:43) This sounds like it belongs in a Dark Souls game with the haunting strings and vocals, and that's actually a compliment coming from me. What could have been a nicely resolved piece with major tones is sprinkled with some minor notes and dissonance, and I love that because it helps send home the message that even if a battle is over and resolved... it isn't entirely pleasant.

(Length: 2:21) This one is my favorite. It has so much more nuance in its composition than the rest of the soundtrack. It utilizes silence to emphasize the sounds that are there, and that is no small feat in music. The bell chimes, the blending of vocals and strings, the punctuation of flute and oboe... While it isn't an uplifting piece (the organ makes sure of that), it strikes an impeccable balance and accomplishes the very important task of making the listener feel something more than themselves.

(Length: 1:46) The march-like tempo and snare drum, with the perpetual movement of the strings, lend a nobility to the sound that's supposed to represent Agro, the horse belonging to Wander. I may have had a hard time acclimating to the PS4 controls when I played the game for Extra Life a few years ago, but it was thrilling to be able to gallop across the open land on horseback and use that momentum to find an attack point on the enemies. 

(Length: 2:04) Boss battle music anyone? If you try to focus in on any one instrument you hear, you'll hear a variety of chaos. This is clearly a climax, and it's an epic one at that!



You can listen to the complete playlist here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

This is an EPIC soundtrack. Every track has thoughtful composition and balance, and works to immerse the player in the game's story. It is not just about climbing on the big stone monsters and defeating them. The music magnifies the desperate, life-or-death struggle this task is! Overall, it's going to feel and sound like a cross between Final Fantasy and Dark Souls, as strange as that may seem. Give it a listen and tell me if you get the same vibe!


THE COMPOSER: KOW OTANI

I won't lie, most of Kow's work that I'm familiar with are animes (and a few films, like Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack -- don't judge me). But for the most part, Shadow of the Colossus is his most famous work. He's been active almost as long as I've been alive, and I look forward to exploring more of his work now that I know where to look!



If you like what you heard here, you're probably out of luck unless you want to pay a good chunk of money on eBay, but there are a few select tracks available for digital download on Amazon if you search for them!



If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment