Saturday, October 16, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Yakuza - Like a Dragon

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Yakuza: Like a Dragon by Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio.


Note: As is the case with a lot of games coming from overseas, the OST isn't readily shared, downloaded or purchased. Please pardon the 3rd party YouTube links. If you can buy a copy of the OST, you should!
--snarkqueen


THE STATS

Name: Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Developer: Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio

Publisher: Sega

Release Date: November 10, 2020
Genres: Action, adventure, RPG
Composer: Hidenori Shoji, Yuri Fukuda, Chihiro Aoki, Saori Yoshida


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 5:10) Listen to that great rhythm, bass, strings and wub-wub! It has a great flow to it, and it's hard for my out-of-practice ear to hear which time signature they're using (6/8? 12/8? I'm leaning towards 12/8 based on the phrasing).

(Length: 3:51) I could've done without the vocals on this one, as it was just the guitar that hooked me. I am a child of the 80's and 90's, and my affinity for a grungy guitar riff is proof. (I need to go play Brütal Legend again.)

(Length: 3:37) BEST. TRACK. EVER. It's a glorious mix of so many awesome elements! At first listen you might think you're in an old-school chiptune-laced video game, but then they hit you with the rock elements, electronic beats, and even some subtle wub-wub grooving in there! I need to play this in Melody's Escape! P.S. Dragon Quest.

(Length: 3:43) Will you listen to this thumping ANTHEM of a track?! I haven't played the game, but I know this is just music leading into a mini game. JUST FOR A MINI GAME IN THE ACTUAL GAME, AND IT ROCKS THIS MUCH! Bonus, which is also amazing: Racetrack Course Theme 2.

(Length: 6:09) They crossed club music with a dungeon theme, and it's beautiful. It comes out sounding like it belongs in a DDR machine.


You can listen to the complete playlist here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

This entire soundtrack just BLEW ME AWAY! I'd always been mildly curious about the Yakuza series, and I figured there'd be some good composition coming from Sega... but OH WOW. So many of these tracks are going in a workout mix when I start my upcoming health program. I WILL BURN ALL THE CALORIES USING DRAGON FLAMES!

If I can find a way to purchase this soundtrack, I WILL.


THE COMPOSERS

Best I've got here is that Hidenori Shoji is the music director (and is known for it of the Yakuza series). The four listed are members of the Sega Sound Team. There are also select solo tracks performed by outsourced bands and artists -- see the Spotify playlist for more of those.



If you like what you heard here, you're probably out of luck unless you want to pay a good chunk of money on eBay or something. If you find a way to purchase that doesn't cost a fortune... hit me up with a link, would you? Thanks!



If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment