Saturday, April 22, 2023

Soundtrack Saturday: Eternal Sonata


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Eternal Sonata by tri-Crescendo.

THE STATS

Name: Eternal Sonata
Developer: 
tri-Crescendo
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment, Inc.
Release Date: June 14, 2007
Genres: Role-playing, console
Composer: Motoi Sakuraba


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 4:12) The haunting vocals lead you right into the fully orchestrated emotions presented by this piece. As the first track I listened to, I was blown away!

(Length: 2:42) The light and bouncy feel of this is pure joy, and I adore the tone of the violin!

(Length: 2:44) Perhaps not the kind of track most people would stop and listen to, but I love the syncopated cellos and timpani driving this piece forward. 

(Length: 2:30) The marriage of woodwinds and strings in this piece is beautiful, and parts of it remind me of some of my favorite themes from other fantasy games!

(Length: 3:09) Something about this composition makes me think of George Winston, and that's a compliment. It's simple and clean and doesn't need embellishments to capture your attention.

(Length: 3:06) This sounds like a cross between a Zelda OCremix and Sarah Sanderson's "Come Little Children" song in Hocus Pocus. It's very whimsical.

(Length: 7:41) It didn't take looking online to know this plays during the credits of the game. It's very reminiscent of many end credits of Studio Ghibli movies. If you played this game, however, you likely heard an Italian version unless you were in Japan. The vocals remind me of the main theme from Eternal Poison (a favorite of mine from the PS2 era).



You can listen to the full soundtrack here:

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

First of all, the description of this game is amazing: "The game is centered on the Polish romantic pianist and composer Frédéric Chopin, who died of tuberculosis at the age of 39. The story envisions a fictional world dreamed by Chopin during his last hours that is influenced by Chopin's life and music, and in which he himself is a playable character, among others. The game's battle system centers on musical elements and character-unique special attacks." 

I might have to find a way to play this game. It apparently also included educational cutscenes with real paintings and photographs and not cel-shaded art like the game itself. 

As for the OST, aside from the classical pieces the game used, the rest was composed and arranged by Motoi Sakuraba (see below). 

Anyway, the entire OST is absolutely gorgeous -- both the Chopin pieces and those composed for the game. It's been 16 years since the game was released, and I'm here to tell you I'd gladly play any game with an OST like this!

THE COMPOSER

Motoi Sakuraba has contributed a LOT to video game music over the years, including to series as notable as Tales, Star Ocean, and Dark Souls... among many, many others. 

If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!
You can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment