Sunday, April 2, 2023

Soundtrack Saturday: Returnal


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Returnal by Housemarque.

THE STATS

Name: Returnal
Developer: 
Housemarque
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Release Date: April 30, 2021
Genres: Action
Composer: Bobby Krlic (The Haxan Cloak)


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

As there are only 9 tracks, I'm providing the full playlist in this embedded video. (My favorite track is definitely Helios.)



You can listen to the full soundtrack here:

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

    I can't say I recommend the game, but that's a strictly personal preference. I watched my husband play this game when he first got his PS5, and holy cow was it stressful and creepy just watching his gameplay. He's a hardcore Souls player, and this game was brutal even for him. The music... well, the music matches the atmosphere. It is ominous and likely bad for anyone with anxiety. That said, it's awesome if you enjoy this genre or just want something foreboding playing while you work on other stuff. 

THE COMPOSER

    Known by the professional handle of The Haxan Cloak, this composer's real name is Bobby Krlic. If you are a fan of horror movies, you've probably heard his work before also -- he scored the movie Midsommar. That explains a great deal about the music of Returnal, now doesn't it?

If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!
You can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment