Saturday, April 29, 2023

Soundtrack Saturday: Tunic


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Tunic by Isometricorp Games.

THE STATS

Name: Tunic
Developer: 
Isometricorp Games
Publisher: Finji
Release Date: March 16, 2022
Genres: Action, adventure, RPG
Composer: Terence Lee (Lifeformed); Janice Kwan


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 


(Length: 4:12) Like most of the tracks, this one is reminiscent of something I've heard before in the beginning... but then it beautifully opens up into its own unique composition.

(Length: 3:10) Hands down, my favorite. It's so EPIC, and... LIBRARIAN. The very classical piano (and harpsichord?) pairs nicely with the orchestral and choral elements. It makes the piece sound very over-the-top and intense. Timpani do that.

(Length: 3:05) Simple piano can do so much for a piece. I love this. It's both calm and mysterious.

(Length: 5:33) There are so many different elements in this that remind me of other pieces of music (primarily Andrew Bird and Honeyroot), and I think that's why I like this so very much. Close second to The Librarian. 

(Length: 5:56) I'm pretty sure this is reminiscent of a Final Fantasy track, I just can't pinpoint the specific one. It's solid, though!

(Length: 3:22) So familiar-sounding, and yet not... it's all at once part Erik Satie, jazz piano, Joe Hisaishi, Final Fantasy, and more. It has that magical, mysterious quality of exploring something out of time and place.

(Length: 2:56) This track sounds like the end credits theme of an anime, meets anime music video, meets Soma.FM and lots of sampling from the rest of the soundtrack. It's a lovely amalgam!



You can listen to the full soundtrack here:

WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

    This is an overall gorgeous soundtrack that spans a variety of genre sounds. There aren't any distracting vocals, or clashing sounds -- it flows very harmoniously and would be a great OST to play in the background while working on just about anything. Some of the tracks may seem a smidge soporific, but they're not any less worthy of listening to for that. There's a bit of something for everyone here, I think. There are more than enough hints at other composers, compositions, and themes to keep even the most avid musician's ear occupied! The soundtrack was composed over a span of 7 years, which adds to its magic and enjoyment.

THE COMPOSERS


I'm providing their primary links since there isn't a ton of personal information about them. Terrence (Lifeformed) has a few notable projects under his belt with Tunic, Dustforce, and the Double Fine Adventure OST. Both live in Taipei, Taiwan.

If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!
You can join for as little as $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment