Saturday, November 14, 2020

The Marathon Day Recap: 2020 Edition

 

For my 8th year of Extra Life, I played The Lord of the Rings Online over the course of 24 hours and raised $501 to surpass my goal of $3,000. This is what happened!



November 7, 2020  6:45 AM

My cat woke me up earlier than usual because the previous weekend we had our time change, so I'll tell you from the onset that I didn't feel guilty about stopping the marathon a little early! Unlike previous years, I did not have amazing breakfast Hot Pockets to get me going -- there weren't any available at the store on Thursday when I did my marathon shopping. So I settled for GFuel and a Kind bar, and started things off a little early.


 

 

 


 Around 8:30 AM I was out of the High Elf intro and messaged one of the ASF officers on Discord to give me an invite into the kin. I spent a little time getting my inventory situated and claiming things from shared storage that I had set aside for the marathon day.




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Then I had some great help from Elaelin, an ASF officer! She ran me through the Great Barrow instances -- high enough to net me some great XP, but not so high that I couldn't do some damage. (She did let me die once... when she got lost and couldn't find the right path... AVENGE ME, RAINBOW!)

 


After 2 AM Central all of the festival quests were available again, so I hit those up along with the Epic in order to get to level 30.


 

 


Alas, there were no more donations after that point, so since I had reached $3200, I told myself I'd call it quits when I reached level 32...

 


In the midst of all of that, I also gave away several Steam keys (seemed to be what people preferred instead of VIP Time!). Surprisingly, the hours went by much more quickly than I thought they would. All previous years I have played a variety of games to keep myself from getting bored or tired, but I guess LOTRO just has that much for me to do that I didn't need alternatives. I didn't even do all of the things on my list of options! There's a very good chance I'll split up the marathon time next year, because a week later I am still feeling the after-effects.




You can still donate if you weren't able to during the marathon! Donations are accepted through December 31st, and I'd love to reach $3500 to make it the best year of fundraising ever!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment