Saturday, January 2, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: The Long Dark


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is The Long Dark by Hinterland Studio.



THE STATS

Name: The Long Dark
Developer: Hinterland Studio
Publisher: Hinterland Studio
Release Date: August 1, 2017
Genres: Survival
Composer(s): Cris Velasco, Sascha Dikiciyan (Sonic Mayhem)



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

(Length: 3:41) This piano! If you somehow forgot you were playing a survival game, this track will remind you.

(Length: 2:40) The strings sing such a song with the piano, I just have no words!

(Length: 2:57) Everything about this track is beautiful and haunting. It's my favorite, easily!

(Length: 1:32) The chord and note progression here is strikingly similar to the time travel theme from the Ecco Game Gear game, and that's probably why I enjoy this one.

(Length: 3:04) There's added depth to this track that reminds me on one hand of mood/meditation music... and also of westerns. It's a crazy combination, but it seems to work very well.


You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:




WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I'm a sucker for piano and strings. When they're bent to the will of talented musicians who know how to make them really sing the sorrow... then it's an auditory thrill to listen to them. This soundtrack is amazing and I think everyone should listen to it, even if they'll never play the game.


THE COMPOSERS: CRIS VELASCO & SASCHA DIKICIVAN

Both composers have some pretty impressive works under the belts, with series like: Mass Effect, Warhammer, Borderlands, Deus Ex, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Darksiders, and God of War. That explains the professional touch to the tracks!




🎁 Did you know I'm giving away games? 🎁


No comments:

Post a Comment