Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Wishlist Wednesday: Snowtopia


In this weekly feature, I share game titles from my various gaming wishlists. I share screenshots and video from the developer, talk about my expectations, and generally just ramble about why the title made it onto my list in the first place. This week's choice is Snowtopia by TeaForTwo.



THE STATS

Name: Snowtopia
Developer: TeaForTwo
Publisher: Goblinz Studio
Release Date: Early 2021
Genres: Indie, Simulation, Strategy
Wishlist Location: Steam


MEDIA FROM PLAYSNOWTOPIA.COM









(Newsletter subscribers click here to view embedded video.)



WHY I WANT IT

This is going to sound really stupid, but please bear with me.

Imagine the year is 1999, and it's late winter on the snowy slopes of Vermont. You are me, and I am on a field trip with my Social Studies class to a local ski resort to study the structure and purpose of economy -- but also to spend the afternoon learning to ski. That's right, learning to ski. 

I had dozens of reservations about that field trip, most of which stemmed from my utter lack of athleticism and failure to participate in any outdoorsy or winter sports. Despite those reservations, I actually turned out to be the best of the 3 newbies who had to be taught how to do everything. I was even the first person in the conga line behind the instructor going down the bunny slope without using poles. It was strangely very much like learning to rollerblade without the fear of eating pavement at any moment. 

With that memory firmly in place, now imagine you are seeing this trailer as an upcoming indie game on Steam. I was captivated by the idea of making an enjoyable ski resort for people, and I imagine a lot of others are excited about this game for similar reasons. One of the developers, in fact, has been a skier since she was 4 years old, and made the game out of a desire to make a game in accordance with her former work as as sustainable development adviser. Admirable!

Getting down to its basics, it looks like a neat little simulator perfect for enjoying the winter at any time of the year -- or when we're stuck in quarantine (again).




If that isn't enough to pique your interest, then this probably isn't your genre -- and that's okay! Check back next week for another title and let me know what you think of my selection!

No comments:

Post a Comment