Saturday, December 25, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Celeste

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Celeste by Extremely OK Games.


THE STATS

Name: Celeste
Developer: Extremely OK Games, Ltd.

Publisher: Matt Makes Games, Inc.

Release Date: January 25, 2018
Genres: Action, adventure, indie
Sound Designers: Lena Raine



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 9:39) This track has strong Final Fantasy vibes for me, and I love it.

(Length: 5:54) I hear a lot of classical influences in this track. Is it just me?

(Length: 7:28) Quite possibly my favorite track from the game. It has a similar sound in the beginning to Bastion's Brusher Patrol, though that track gets a bit, um, rougher in sound. 

(Length: 9:38) I could write an entire blog entry about this one track and the musical devices and methods used. To get you thinking on your own, listen beyond the weirdness you think you're hearing at the beginning. It eventually transitions into a nearly perfectly reverse of Quiet and Falling. Do the sounds disturb you and intrigue you at the same time? They're supposed to. This is not a track to make you feel comfortable, and that's what is so great about it.

(Length: 2:14) The closest thing to improvised jazz or broadway in this OST, and it's beautiful even if you don't know the corresponding scene in the game.



You can listen to the full soundtrack here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I don't need a reason on Christmas Day. It is beautiful music. Merry Christmas!


THE COMPOSER

First of all, Lena was born the day after me -- on a Leap Day. That automatically puts her in the Cool Kids club. Additionally, she has such credits to her name as Guild Wars 2, Steven Universe, Minecraft, Deltarune, and Chicory: A Colorful Tale. If those mean nothing to you, then I don't understand why you're reading my blog to begin with.



If you like what you heard here, you can purchase the soundtrack here on Steam or use this handy widget: 




If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment