Saturday, December 11, 2021

Soundtrack Saturday: Dreamscaper

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Dreamscaper by Afterburner Studios.


THE STATS

Name: Dreamscaper
Developer: Afterburner Studios

Publisher: Freedom Games

Release Date: August 5, 2021
Genres: Action, adventure, indie, RPG
Sound Designers: Dale North



MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The full list of tracks are linked by playlist below... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!) 

(Length: 2:26) Wait, is this a Laura Shigihara game? That's what this sounds like -- happy, whimsical, and maybe a little sad in a sweet way.

(Length: 2:21) I just love the opening piano. 

(Length: 2:28) Similar to Cascades of Wonder, but with more of an airy flow and lightness. It's pretty and I want to listen to it on repeat.

(Length: 3:07) It's almost like somebody made a sandwich out of a symphony and Portal music, and I really like it.

(Length: 1:22) This reminds me heavily of the opening theme to The 10th Kingdom mini series, and I'm not even mad. It's great!


You can listen to the complete playlist here:


WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

It's always great when talented people break away from AAA studios and games and come together with other talented people to make games based on their passion and creativity. That's the essence and heart of indie development, and it's what bore the fruit called Dreamscaper.

There's a great balance of symphonic sounds in this OST mixed with electronic elements. It really helps paint the picture of the game where you spend time awake and dreaming.


THE COMPOSER: DALE NORTH

If you're a gamer, you've probably come across this name before. His credits include: Sword of the Necromancer, Ray's the Dead, River City Girls, Wizard of Legend, and a host of others. Wizard of Legend is enough street cred for me in conjunction with this OST. Dude clearly knows his way around the music staff and beyond!



If you like what you heard here, you can purchase the soundtrack on Steam here or use this handy widget: 




If you enjoy my Soundtrack selections, consider joining me on Patreon!

No comments:

Post a Comment