Saturday, June 13, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Dragon's Dogma - Dark Arisen


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen by Capcom.




THE STATS

Name: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom
Release Date: April 2013
Genres: Action role-playing, hack and slash
Composer(s): Tadayoshi Makino, Rei Kondoh, Inon Zur, Masayoshi Ishi


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

(Length: 1:32) This reminds me of a dark fantasy amalgam of Final Fantasy VI's Mystic Forest and something vaguely Zelda-ish. I can't put my finger on it, but I like it!

Battle Hydra
(Length: 1:55) Ugh. That stupid hydra. I know this track all too well because of how many times I died trying to defeat it when I played this game for an Extra Life marathon. UGH. 

Territory in Miyakonojo
(Length: 1:18) The vocals, my dudes. The vocals! And the harp, too. But those vocals!

Bluemoon Tower
(Length: 1:42) We get some traditional sounds, tribal vocals, percussive drums... and a taste of electric guitar? That guitar gives it just a little bit of edge, and I like it.
(Length: 2:12) I am a sucker for all things that sound like a music box. This piece is simple and beautiful, and I love the added mechanical sounds.

Abandoned City
(Length: 4:03) I'm also a sucker for tragic-sounding songs and minor keys. 

Into Free -Dangan-
(Length: 4:38) For that electric, shounen finish. *air guitar and hair flip*



You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:





WHY I RECOMMEND IT

First of all, it's an action RPG by Capcom. Secondly, the lead producer worked on the Resident Evil series as well as Devil May Cry and Mega Man 11. Third... have I steered you wrong yet?

There's a variety of sounds in this soundtrack (which I'll mention in the next section), so it isn't the most cohesive OST -- but there's distinct talent and great mood music. You'll really have to sample the tracks for yourself to get the full impact of the musical buffet we're given here.


THE COMPOSERS

The music director was Tadayoshi Makino, who had previously worked on Monster Hunter Tri. The producers initially pulled in two separate directions (jazz and hard rock), while Makino wanted to go in a third (orchestra with ethnic elements). This resulted in a weird fusion that somehow works. Makino brought in three other composers to work on the music: Rei Kondoh (Okami, Sengoku Basara), Inon Zur (a western composer who worked on the Dragon Age series) to make it an international collaboration, and Masayoshi Ishi (Sengoku Basara, and anime). On top of all that, it was recorded in Bulgaria with a European orchestra. Crazy, huh? You have to listen to believe it.




'Neath a faulted sky; cross loamless plains, and watered blight 
Ah! Where gone those days, once Glory shone so bright?

No comments:

Post a Comment