Saturday, June 20, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: The Swapper


In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is The Swapper by Facepalm Games.




THE STATS

Name: The Swapper
Developer: Facepalm Games
Publisher: Facepalm Games
Release Date: May 2013
Genres: Puzzle-platformer, Metroidvania
Composer(s): Carlo Castellano


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

You'll notice I don't have a ton of notes on each piece like usual. That's because the entire soundtrack for The Swapper is highly atmospheric. There's a similar style to most of them, with variations. The piece I loved best was Recreation. It's simply beautiful.

Theme (Length: 1:16)

Greenhouse (Length: 3:40)

Recreation (Length: 3:01)
(Bonus: A video posted by the composer.)

Metaphysics (Length: 3:39)



You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:

The Swapper OST (individual tracks) or The Swapper OST (one video)



WHY I RECOMMEND IT

Look, it's Saturday morning. It's the perfect time to queue up this soundtrack and make your favorite cup of coffee or tea, and just relax. Zone out. Think about nothing. That's what's great about atmospheric soundtracks like this. Not only do they set a great backdrop for a puzzle-based game where you are isolated, but they can be a great backdrop for your own thoughts and give you the space to mentally relax in. Trust me on this one. If nothing else, enjoy the video of "Recreation" posted by the composer. It's great stuff, and I always enjoy watching someone talented play a piano!


THE COMPOSER: CARLO CASTELLANO

Gotta say, I've never heard this name before. So let me see what my Google-fu can find today, shall we?

Well, one great thing I can say about Carlo is that he is the founder and owner of a business called AudioThing, which is an audio software company focused on plug-ins. They work with freelancers to produce professional plug-ins for composers, producers, and sound designers. It's basically all Carlo working with other freelancers out of Dublin, and it's pretty neat. Good on you, Carlo! You are talented and I enjoy your sounds a great deal!

I don't see any discography beyond The Swapper on his Bandcamp page, though. I'll have to assume he's been busy with his business -- which is still all about making music and great audio!


No comments:

Post a Comment