Saturday, December 12, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Journey

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Journey by Thatgamecompany.



This entry was originally supposed to post on November 28th. My apologies for the lateness -- I was moving! There are 3 Soundtracks today, so be sure to also check out Starbound and VVVVVV--snarkqueen

THE STATS

Name: Journey
Developer: Thatgamecompany, Santa Monica Studio
Publisher: Annapurna Interactive, Sony Computer Entertainment
Release Date: March 13, 2012
Genres: Adventure, art
Composer: Austin Wintory


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

(Length: 4:40) This one is all about the smooooooth vocals and supporting strings.

(Length: 7:06) The definition of "apotheosis" is a climax or the highest possible point of development. I think that speaks for itself.

(Length: 1:46) "Coming into existence" -- this is the opening track, and I love the airy flute.

(Length: 6:04) This one just flows nicely and is super pretty. This is a track you can play during a D&D session -- at least until there's a fight.

(Length: 4:16) This one is my favorite. It's lively and sounds like someone telling a story.


You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:



WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

This one was recommended to me by my friend Kii almost a year ago. (Did you think I forgot, Kii?)
I think this is another soundtrack that is going to fall under my category of "I needed to play it first." It's not bad, but it also doesn't prompt me to keep listening to it like some other unplayed-game soundtracks have. Even so, it is a pleasant listen!


THE COMPOSER: AUSTIN WINTORY

We discussed Austin once before, when writing about the soundtrack for The Banner Saga. His website still hasn't had a decent update since then, but I'm no less appreciative of his talent and his good works for education! His most recent work was for The Pathless (released November 12th by Giant Squid).


No comments:

Post a Comment