Saturday, December 12, 2020

Soundtrack Saturday: Starbound

 

In this weekly feature, I recommend game soundtracks. I share a few of my favorite tracks, talk about why everyone should listen to the soundtrack, and a little bit about the composer. This week's choice is Starbound by Chucklefish.



This entry was originally supposed to post on December 5th. My apologies for the lateness -- I was moving! There are 3 Soundtracks today, so be sure to also check out Journey and VVVVVV--snarkqueen

THE STATS

Name: Starbound
Developer: Chucklefish
Publisher: Chucklefish
Release Date: July 22, 2016
Genres: Action-adventure
Composer: Curtis Schweitzer


MY FAVORITE TRACKS

(The titles link to YouTube videos... and I highly recommend some good headphones to best enjoy all of the subtle elements of the music!)

(Length: 4:07) If I had to imagine a track about seeing something for the first time and being amazed, this would be it.

(Length: 5:44) This track makes me think of pondering over some curiosity.

(Length: 10:59) This is my absolute favorite of the bunch! This track is simple, pretty, and lowers my blood pressure.

(Length: 4:16) The 1-2-3 waltz feel of this piece gives it an innocence and purity at first, which matures at 1:40 into something more complex and dynamic. It isn't just following a pattern throughout, which helps listeners stay engaged.

(Length: 7:09) It's all about the strings.

(Length: 3:14) This is so simple and happy and upbeat... it feels like it belongs in a Nintendo ad.

(Length: 3:09) The chime-like quality mixed with electronic makes me think of some early 2000's music with a pleasant feeling of nostalgia.

(Length: 3:38) This one just makes me think of a few Game Gear titles I used to enjoy.

(Length: 4:58) The vibe here that I get is Asian crossed with Western, but with some strong orchestral pursuits. It has an ever-flowing melody that keeps me listening the whole way through!



You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube:



WHY DO I RECOMMEND IT?

I had always heard good things about this soundtrack, and I'm pleased to agree with every one of them. In addition to the OST linked above, you can also pull up the Orchestral OST for some great listening. You're clearly exploring and experiencing places not of this world when you immerse yourself in this music!


THE COMPOSER: CURTIS SCHWEITZER

Dude is currently working on the soundtrack for Halo Infinite. He's playing with the big boys! In addition to that, he has done work for Earthlight VR, Interstellar Rift, Staxel, and a nice collection of orchestral pieces. He's your typical freelance composer from Colorado, friends. I imagine the Halo gig will boost him to further projects in the spotlight!


No comments:

Post a Comment