Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Wishlist Wednesday: Little Briar Rose

 

In this weekly feature, I share game titles from my various gaming wishlists. I share screenshots and video from the developer, talk about my expectations, and generally just ramble about why the title made it onto my list in the first place. This week's choice is Little Briar Rose by Elf Games.




THE STATS

Name: Little Briar Rose
Developer: Elf Games
Publisher: Elf Games
Release Date: December 2, 2016
Genres: Adventure, Casual, Indie
Wishlist Location: Steam


MEDIA FROM LITTLEBRIARROSE.COM












(Newsletter subscribers click here to view embedded video.)



WHY I WANT IT

I love the story of Sleeping Beauty. For most of my childhood my favorite Disney movie was Sleeping Beauty -- partly because of the sassy blue fairy (Merryweather) and the part where Maleficent turns into a dragon. It seemed so taboo to hear a Disney villain saying such an epic line as "And now you shall deal with me, O Prince, and all the powers of Hell!" It really set the bar for fantasy in my life after that.

But what I loved most about it was actually the music, which was all based on Tchaikovsky's work by the same name. I was a nerdy little 8-year-old with the whole production on cassette who listened to it on a Walkman on car rides. 

So, ever since then I've always been drawn to retellings and variations of the story even if it doesn't have the classical music. Little Briar Rose is based on the story, and LOOK -- it meets my other checklist item of PRETTY GRAPHICS. Can you resist graphics in the style of stained glass? I can't.

Add in that the game is a casual adventure and is made by an indie company, and I am sold. It goes on sale frequently and isn't very expensive to begin with, I'm just waiting for the next opportunity when I have some spare game cash. 





If that isn't enough to pique your interest, then this probably isn't your genre -- and that's okay! Check back next week for another title and let me know what you think of my selection!

No comments:

Post a Comment